It’s a Wonderful Life:
A Live Radio Play
November 28th – December 28th
Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 2pm
Written by Joe Landry
Directed by Wade Williamson
The beloved American Classic comes to captivating life as a live 1940’s radio broadcast. With the help of an ensemble that brings a few dozen characters to the stage, the story of idealistic George Bailey unfolds as he considers ending his life one fateful Christmas Eve
Roles may be double cast – so if you have conflicts, but are interested in being in the show, don’t miss this opportunity – we can likely work around your schedule! No excuses! Bring your calendar!
It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play
Turn back the clock to 1946 and set the dial for a double dose of holiday nostalgia. This version of It’s a Wonderful Life harkens back to the golden age of radio, performed as a live radio broadcast, with live commercials too - in front of our studio audience. Conceived and drawn directly from Frank Capra’s classic film, a talented ensemble of actors and one clever sound technician tell the story of George Bailey and the night he considers ending his life one fateful Christmas Eve.
From the director
- This show will be performed in front of microphones, with scripts in-hand. Minimal memorizing, minimal rehearsals!
- The voice and characterizations are critical for the play to work, as are the wonderful sounds effects!! We want to hear as many voices as you can give us!
- Oh, and did we mention there is singing? That’s right – be prepared to sing your favorite holiday tune!
Other helpful information
- Sides will be supplied at auditions. See the movie if you need a reminder – it’s very similar.
- Resumes and headshots are not required.
- STAGEStheatre welcomes both experienced and inexperienced actors and actresses. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- If you are able, please RSVP to email@example.com to let us know you are coming.
General Rehearsal Schedule
Rehearsals will start in mid-late October, and will be held in the evening’s approx 7-10pm. We will rehearse only during the week, Mon – Thurs. More info on rehearsal times will be available at auditions.
Open call for all characters
Men (5-6 men)
George Bailey – family man, dreamer, full of hope and life
Clarence – angel looking to do the right thing to get his wings!
Henry Potter – Scrooge type who wants total control and has no heart towards anything else!
Joseph/Announcer – Lead performer who hosts the radio show and who will be the “chief angel” who assists with Clarence getting his wings.
Uncle Billy - kind hearted, but absent minded
Other male roles include a variety of characters like George’s father, Bert the Cop, Ernie the cab driver, Harry Bailey, the Bridge keeper, Mr. Martini, Commercial announcer & performers and the Bailey kids.
Women (4-5 women)
Mary – The home town girl always in love with George
Violet – The town beauty who always is a looker!
Rose – George’s mother, confident, family counselor
Sadie - the bank examiner
Other female roles include Zuzu, and the other Bailey kids, commercial announcers & performers, townspeople, office workers and friends of the Baileys…versatility is a must!
Also looking for piano players and live Foley (sound effects) Artists.